Monday, June 9, 2014

Gu!

Week two of marathon training culminated with a seven mile run on Saturday and my first attempt at fueling on the go. Months ago I found some article about eating solid food, which seemed like a great alternative to the aptly named "Gu." I grabbed two Fig Newtons and I was off!

I planned to have the Fig Newtons around mile five. I knew I wouldn't really need them for seven miles, but I know I will need to fuel for the marathon so better get my body used to fueling on the run sooner rather than later! Well I forgot a certain major point I've read in everything about fueling strategy - wash it down with water! Something to improve on next week. I took small bites, got the two Fig Newtons down and finished up my seven miles.

It wasn't awful, but it did motivate me to get over to Fleet Feet to try out some Gu. I haven't tried it yet - waiting for my eight mile run on Saturday. Mentally it's just going to be hard to get myself to eat it, so I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. Can't be that bad right? I'll let ya know.

I also tried on some little gear belts/vests. I spoke with one woman who insisted this one fuel belt was the way to go, apparently doesn't slide around, then talked to another guy who selected another belt for marathons, and then another woman swore by some little vest. Now I know it's all about what's comfortable for you and very much personal preference, but at $50-100, I want to make sure I'll be happy with what I buy!

Which is to say... I'm delaying the decision until I can do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment