Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Keeping at it - Motivation for morning runs

Just one month into training (six weeks if you count the pre-training), and I had my first battle with motivation.

Last week was a long week, and I was looking forward to having some free time. Matt asked me Friday night what I wanted to do the next day, and all I could think was, I don't want to plan anything. Thoughts of laying in bed, watching TV, taking the day slow and doing whatever I felt like came to me. But, of course, I knew I had to wake up and run ten miles in the morning. 

It was a passing thought, but I couldn't help thinking how much easier it would be to give up. No running schedule. No demands every single Saturday between now and October. Just whatever I felt like doing. 

I posted my entire training plan on the fridge, and above my computer at work. While at times it seems daunting, it's nice to be able to look at it to know what to expect this week - because you'll see it's entirely manageable when you break it up day by day/week by week - but also to be able to look back and see how much you've accomplished. It's only been four weeks, but already, I don't want to mess up my streak. I've committed so much time to this race already, how can I mess it up now?



Well I got up and did the 10 miles, and I'm so glad I did. The whole time I was just thinking about how lucky I am that my body is capable of this. Six weeks of running and I can run ten miles. It feels amazing. 


The more I run, the more I want to keep pushing the boundaries - thinking I've found my limit and then surpassing it the next week. Your body is capable of outstanding things. Treat it well, fuel it properly, listen to it, and be amazed.



No comments:

Post a Comment